Leonardo DiCaprio Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leonardo DiCaprio Fan Forum

The Leonardo DiCaprio unofficial message board created for fans includes a photo gallery, tributes, interviews and more. Films Titanic, Departed, Romeo & Juliet

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Congress in early March that, last year
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 am by si25

»  warbler birds Poem
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:59 pm by mahmoud el ayat

» Ignorant of , the regional
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 am by bban45

»  for Inquirer receiving the coveted
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 am by er25

» Reached its means
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 am by chanelbags249

» Receive the benefits
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 am by dubao

» that the Italian Prime Minister Silvio
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 am by si25

» roduction into the current budget rather
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 am by er25

» Contact Group on Thursday, with some 20
Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 am by yi21

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Leo review about RR

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jennaceeta21

Jennaceeta21

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Leo review about RR Empty
PostSubject: Leo review about RR   Leo review about RR Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Excerpts from San Francisco Chronicle interview with DiCaprio about "RR" ....enjoyed the excerpt where DiCaprio talks about Frank....also..noticed at bottom of interview that "RR" opens there on Jan 2nd as well

Q: Did you read the book before making the film?

A: No, after the screenplay. It tapped in to all these characters' subconscious in an amazing way. What Yates does unbelievably in the novel is he switches the sympathies from character to character. You never know who to have compassion for.

Q: You and Kate were trying to achieve some kind of parity between the characters. Were a lot of your discussions about that?

A: Yes, they were. That's what's fascinating about the novel. There's no clear-cut hero. I think that April is the most heroic character in the movie because she's willing to risk everything to find her own happiness - but, by the same token, with utter disregard for what she already has. And Frank is detestable at the beginning of the movie, and then you see him desperately trying to hold on and salvage his relationship. He is unheroic and uncourageous in the sense that he wants to be a product of his environment. He wants to have this normal, humdrum life. This is what's very rare in movies. If this were written today, you would have two normal people in the suburbs who have a dead body stashed in the trunk or win the lottery or figure out some nuclear code.

Q: I'm not sure I completely buy the argument that Frank is just being conventional. Isn't he also being practical?

A: I think that's what's good about this movie. I had my own reaction to Frank, too. I understood him. I'm saying that in the sense that she is the only one who is willing to say, "You know what? This life is not good enough for me." I don't think the film is a reflection of the confines of the 1950s or the suburbs. It's about what we're capable of doing as human beings. And I think there is an element to April that I disagree with fundamentally as well. And that is, "Let's look at what you already have here. And let's start to think about the children." What's interesting about the book is that the children are almost inconsequential to these people. They're like a piece of furniture. "Let's move to Paris. What are we going to do about the couch and the car? Oh, we'll give that to them, we'll sell this. What about the kids? They'll be fine." There's an element of narcissism to these characters, and that's what makes the movie great - it certainly makes the novel great, I'll say that. There is no gallant act of heroism wherein one of these characters defies all the odds and wins at the end.

Q: In one stand-out scene, April is asking Frank about a product he's working on, and it's clear that something is going on with her and Frank doesn't quite know how to take it.

A: Sam has said that it's some of his best directing, and I think Yates did interviews saying he felt that that was the best piece of writing he'd ever done in his life.

Q: That must have been a cool scene to act.

A: Very cool, man.

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (R) opens Friday at Bay Area theaters.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/26/PKND14PD4K.DTL
Back to top Go down

Leo review about RR
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Leonardo DiCaprio Fan Forum :: Leo's Interviews :: Written-
Jump to: